A healthy smile for life starts with excellent foundational oral hygiene habits. Therefore, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that your child should first see the dentist:
- Before your child’s first birthday
- Within six months after his or her first tooth has erupted
Just like people of all ages, we encourage children to visit the dentist at least every six months to prevent common chronic childhood illnesses, keep smiles strong and beautiful, and establish a baseline for healthy smiles for life.
Since we are parents, too, we understand the concerns that you may have about handling your child’s oral health needs. Sometimes, children are nervous about visiting the dentist. So, we always try to foster a clinical environment built on trust, empathy, and education for young patients.
- Creating a calm, stress-free environment
- Using clear, kid-friendly explanations about what is going on
- Reassuring children that their needs will be met
- Allowing children to bring in comfort items to ease anxiety
- Offering gentle sedation (such as laughing gas) as the last measure
Empathy is the ability to understand and share another person’s feelings and is a powerful tool to help people connect. We also understand that when children feel understood and supported, they are more likely to stay motivated, self-aware, and advocate for themselves.
Our team understands how your child feels, and we want to create treatment plans that help you, your child, and our dental team work together to conquer life’s most challenging moments. Also, we are passionate about teaching child how to prevent and handle oral health problems as they arise.
At each visit, we will use kid-friendly language to explain how to keep the teeth and gums healthy, including teaching your child about:
- Regular dental exams and cleanings to prevent cavities, periodontal disease, and other dental health issues
- Brushing and flossing with the right tools and techniques
- Enjoying a delicious, balanced diet filled with vitamins and minerals for an overall healthy body