Dental Implants in Porterville, CA
Do you have missing teeth, or are you suffering from extensive damage and decay that may warrant a total replacement? If this sounds familiar, you may want to consider dental implant-supported restorations.
Live Oak Dental Group offers dental implants that provide a stable foundation for replacement teeth. Dentists everywhere consider dental implants the “gold standard” in restorative and prosthetic dentistry because dental-implant-supported restorations look, feel, and function like natural teeth. Also, patients that choose dental implants regain the ability to eat virtually anything they want without the need for messy denture adhesives or the fear of slippage.
What are dental implants?
Contrary to popular belief, the term “dental implant” describes the tiny yet robust titanium posts that dentists secure into the tooth socket where teeth are missing. Over time, the jaw bone bonds with the titanium post, which creates a stable foundation for prosthetic restorations, such as crowns, bridges, and dentures.
Want to know what makes dental implants stand out above other restorations? Beyond superior function, form, and feel, dental implants perform similarly to a natural tooth root. So, they have the power to strengthen and preserve the jawbone, which:
- Can help preserve facial structure
- Prevent the supporting bone from deteriorating
Do you qualify for dental implants?
If you are interested in implant dentistry, contact our Porterville office for a consultation. During this first visit, the Live Oak Dental Group Team:
- Examines your health and history
- Addresses your specific needs and considerations
- Answers your essential questions about dental implants
If you qualify and want to continue, our team will work closely with you to help maximize successful outcomes.
Dental Implant Timeline
It’s important to note that a successful dental implant process requires multiple procedures and can take months to heal properly. However, some patients do not experience much disruption in their daily life despite the extended time frame.
Typically, this is what dental implant patients can expect:
- Preliminary procedures: Immediately after a permanent tooth is lost, the supporting jaw bone begins to shrink. Without the tooth root, the jaw succumbs to the pressure of daily chewing forces and cannot rebuild itself. Therefore, if you do not have enough bone tissue to support a dental implant, you must have a bone graft.
- First phase: When your jaw is sufficient enough to support a dental implant, your dentist will surgically secure a implant in your jaw and place a temporary restoration to hide the implant.
- Second phase: After the implant bonds with the bone, your dentist will gently uncover the implant and attach an abutment, which is used to attach the implant to the restoration. At this appointment, he or she will also take impressions.
- Lab work: As your mouth heals, your dental impressions will be sent to a lab so that a lab technician can fabricate a restoration that fits your mouth perfectly.
- Final visit: After your new teeth are created, your dentist will attach the replacement teeth so that you can finally smile confidently again.